PLEASE READ THIS LEAFLET CAREFULLY
It explains your test and contains important information
A doctor has requested that we perform nerve conduction tests to check how well the nerves in your arms are working. The time taken to perform the test varies and may take up to 1 hour. Please do allow yourself at least this amount of time for your appointment.
What does the test involve?
The test involves placing some special rings and pads on your fingers to stimulate the nerves and to record the responses. You will feel a slight tapping sensation at the site of stimulation from rings or pads.
Preparation – what you need to do
- Please wear clothes that will allow easy access to your arms e.g. loose fitting clothes.
- Creams and ointments make the skin greasy and difficult to attach the pads. Please do not apply them on the day of the appointment.
- Please try and keep your hands warm prior to the test, e.g. wear gloves if possible.
- If you have a PACEMAKER/ICD fitted please contact the department on 01522 572379 or 01205 445447 on receipt of this letter so that a special note can be made.
- Due to the duration of the appointment and lack of child-care facilities in our department, we request you do not bring any other child with you.
- Please bring a list of your current medication with you.
After the test
At the end of the test you will be free to leave. The test results need to be analysed. A report will be sent to the doctor/consultant who referred you to us to have the test done.
Please make a special note of the appointment date particularly if the appointment is some weeks away. Please let us know if you are unable to attend. We can reschedule your test for a different date/time and give the present slot to another patient. This will help reduce our waiting lists and operating costs.
We look forward to seeing you in the department. If you have any questions or worries please feel free to contact us in advance of your visit on 01522 572379 or 01205 445447. If we are unavailable please leave a message and we will get back to you ASAP.
If you arrive late for your appointment, it may not be possible to see you on this occasion.
Please see the attached map for location of department.
Telephone: 01522 572379/01205 445447