The STAAR Team (Stop Smoking Team, Advice, Action & Refer)
“We are trained Smoking Cessation Practitioners that are passionate about helping our patients to quit smoking tobacco, to give Mothers, babies and families the best outcomes in pregnancy and a smoke free future for all”
The STAAR Team
Pregnant with raised Carbon Monoxide (CO) levels?
We can help.
Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas that is colourless, odourless and tasteless.
Carbon Monoxide in the air rapidly enters the body when you breathe.
When you are exposed to Carbon Monoxide in pregnancy it replaces some of the oxygen in your blood, which is then carried to your baby.
Oxygen = Life
Factors contributing to raised Carbon monoxide levels
- Second hand smoke
- Faulty boiler/log burner
- Exposure to vehicle exhaust fumes
Risks of smoking in Pregnancy
- Early Births
- Smaller Sick Babies
- Congenital Heart Problems (babies born with heart conditions)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in childhood
- Placental Abruption (The placenta separates from the wall of the uterus causing heavy bleeding before birth, depriving the baby of essential oxygen and nutrients)
- Take the first step towards a smoke free future for you and your baby. Contact us:
Ask your midwife for a referral to our team.
Email: [email protected]
Find us at your next clinic appointment.