This leaflet has been designed to give you some information regarding the Colposcopy MDT.
The Colposcopy Multi-disciplinary team meeting’s primary purpose is to plan the management of patients where histology, cytology and colposcopy findings do not match. There are also some referrals to the MDT which are suggested by national screening guidelines. The meetings usually occur every fortnight.
This meeting brings together a panel of specialists from:
- Cytology – who review any cervical screening samples
- Colposcopy – from all sites within the Trust to review colposcopy findings
- Histology – who review any biopsies that may have been taken
Your case may have been referred to the MDT for the following reasons:
- Your cervical screening test showed high grade changes that were not seen in colposcopy or on biopsy
- Your cervical screening test showed a minor change in the glandular cells of the cervix that were not seen in colposcopy or on biopsy
- Your cervical screening test or biopsy showed a glandular abnormality (precancerous changes of cervical glandular cells)
- The laboratory could not grade your biopsy as low grade/high grade
- The depth of the biopsy was less than 5mm – Loop excision biopsies (LLETZ) only
- The colposcopist thinks you might be suitable for surveillance rather than treatment for CIN2 (precancerous changes)
- The management/follow up is complex
The panel will agree a plan of management, whether this be treatment or further cervical screening either in colposcopy or with your GP.
A letter will be sent to you with the result of the MDT and any follow up appointments will usually be included. If there are options for treatment or management these will be discussed with you at your next appointment.
If you have any questions regarding the MDT please contact:
Email: [email protected]
Colposcopy secretaries: 01522 573261/573214
Nurse Colposcopist 01522 573993
Colposcopy secretary: 01205 445415
Nurse Colposcopist: 01522 573993
If you have any feedback regarding this leaflet please contact [email protected]