Your experience counts – raising complaints and concerns

How to say thank you, make a comment, get an answer to a concern or make a formal complaint

Your experience countsTo view a PDF you may need to download Adobe Reader.

Listening to your feedback

At United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust, we aim to provide safe, effective healthcare to our community. Your feedback helps us improve the quality of our care and your overall experience.

Most NHS care and treatment goes well. If you have received excellent care or had a particularly good experience, please let us know.

However, things can sometimes go wrong. If you are unhappy with your care or the service you have received, it is important to let us know so we can improve our services.102

How to give feedback about the care you have received

  • You can speak directly to a member of staff involved with your care
  • You can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
  • Complete a Friends and Family Test survey
  • Our website
  • You can share your experience on Care Opinion

All your comments will be shared with the staff involved in your care so that we can recognise good practice and improve our services. All information will be treated confidentially.

I do not want to complain but I want something to be done

If you are unhappy with any aspect of your care, please try and discuss your concerns early on with a member of staff from the relevant service (e.g. one of the doctors, nurses or other staff caring for you). Often they can resolve the issue quickly or provide you with information or advice to help you decide what to do.


In some cases, you may feel more comfortable speaking to someone not directly involved in your care.

PALS offers impartial advice and assistance to patients, their relatives, friends and carers. They can listen to feedback (positive or negative), help you get answers to your questions and liaise on your behalf to help resolve any concerns about our Trust services.

Please note that the PALS team cannot offer counselling, a diagnosis, detailed medical information or advocacy. However, please be assured that if PALS cannot help you they will direct you to other sources of help.

  • Lincoln County Hospital (near main reception) – 01522 707071
  • Pilgrim Hospital (in main reception) – 01205 446243
  • Grantham Hospital – contact Pilgrim Hospital – 01205 446243

Email – [email protected]

PALS opening times (all sites)

Monday to Friday: 9am to 3pm

Twitter:  @ULHT_PALS


What if I want to make a complaint?

Complaints can be in writing and can be sent by email or post, however, we are able to support anyone wishing or needing to raise their issues in any way. Please do not hesitate to contact us as detailed below.

You can also contact PALS and an adviser will be happy to give you help and advice if you are unsure whether or how to complain.

You should make your complaint within 12 months of the incident or within 12 months of the matter coming to your attention. This time limit can sometimes be extended as long as it is still possible to investigate your complaint.

Anyone can complain. A family member, carer, friend, or your local MP can complain on your behalf with your permission.

If you are acting on behalf of a patient, we will need to ask the patient for their consent.

What can I expect if I complain?

  • Acknowledgement of your complaint within three working days.
  • A formal investigation of your complaint.
  • To be kept informed of progress and provided with a full response.
  • Assurance that your care and treatment will not be affected as a result of making a complaint.
  • To be informed of any appropriate actions resulting from your complaint.

Telephone:    Monday to Friday 9am to 3pm

Lincoln County Hospital – 01522 573883

Pilgrim Hospital – 01205 445689

Grantham Hospital – 01205 445689

Email: C[email protected]


Postal address for complaints

Complaints Team, Lincoln County Hospital, Greetwell Road, Lincoln, LN2 5QY

Complaints Team, Pilgrim Hospital, Grantham Hospital, Sibsey Road, Boston PE21 9QS

Can I get help to make my complaint?

If you would like help to make your complaint support is available. A complaints advocate is independent of the NHS and can offer practical support such as help with writing letters, attending a meeting with you and explaining the options available.

This service is free to anyone making a complaint about their NHS treatment or care.


Tel:     0300 303 1660                     Email: [email protected]

Voiceability, Unit 1, The Old Granary, Westwick, Oakington, Cambridgeshire, CB24 3AR

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint

We hope our response will resolve your issues. If you are still not satisfied with our handling of your complaint, you have the right to refer your case to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO), which makes final decisions on unresolved complaints about the NHS in England. It is an independent service, which is free for everyone to use.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman: Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP [email protected]

Tel: 0345 015 4033 (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm)