ULHT has entered into an exciting partnership with CH&Co to modernise the shops and cafes for staff and patients at county hospitals.
Beginning in February 2018, CH&Co will invest £700k to revamp the main entrances at Pilgrim and Lincoln and open “Ground” – brand new coffee shops. New cafes will also open at the maternity wing and outpatients at Lincoln. CH&Co will also open convenience stores, with coffee facilities, at our three hospitals replacing WH Smiths which are there at the moment.
Paul Boocock, Director of Estates and Facilities for ULHT said: “We’re pleased to announce ULHT has appointed the CH&Co Group to run coffee shops and convenience stores in our hospitals.
“Together we’ll bring the high-street to our hospitals and offer staff and visitors a welcoming and better experience and offer a wider selection of products.
“As well as being better for our staff and visitors, it’ll be better for the environment and Lincolnshire business too. CH&Co’s products will use minimal packaging and they will source local products wherever possible.”
Andrew Scott, Sales Director at CH&Co Group said: “We are absolutely delighted to be partnering with ULHT. Developing the cafes and retails stores around the hospitals presents a fantastic opportunity for CH&Co.”
The current WH Smiths contract ends on 31 December this year, so from 1 January 2018 CH&Co will begin to run all coffee shops (apart from radiology at Lincoln) and convenience stores. Building work will start in the New Year, and the fully revamped stores and coffee shops with new facilitates are expected to be open by March.
CH&Co will offer healthy foods and staff incentives. In the future, ULHT will also recoup a share of CH&Co’s profits, giving a much-needed boost to our income.
All staff who work in ULHT coffee shops currently will have the opportunity to be redeployed elsewhere in ULHT or transfer to CH&Co with the same terms and conditions. The volunteers who run the coffee shop at the maternity unit at Lincoln will also be offered the choice to volunteer elsewhere.
Start on site:
- Lincoln: Cafe Monday 12 February (current café remains open until the final week of March)
- Boston: 1 March retail shops and café close and temporary service in place. All areas go into operation 3 April (First day after Easter).
- CH&Co are a national catering company who run cafes in other hospitals including Salford Royal and Stepping Hill, Stockport. http://www.chandco.net/
- Staff have TUPE rights to transfer to the new company
- Volunteers who work in cafes will be given opportunities to work elsewhere in the Trust.
- The restaurants run by ULHT are not affected.