The service provides the following:
- Diagnosis and treatment of cancer of the skin of the face, head and neck
- Diagnosis and treatment of cancer of the mouth and lips
- Treatment for patients who suffer fractures of the facial skeleton and jaws
- Treatment for patients with facial or jaw deformity
- Treatment for patients with benign or cancerous conditions of the salivary glands
- Removal of impacted or buried teeth
- Diagnosis of facial pain and jaw joint dysfunction
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a unique specialty as it receives referrals from both dentists and GPs. In order to meet these demands all consultants in oral and maxillofacial surgery are now doubly qualified in both dentistry and medicine.
Oral and maxillofacial departments are based at Lincoln County Hospital, Pilgrim Hospital, Boston and Grantham and District Hospital. Clinics are also provided at County Hospital, Louth and John Coupland Hospital, Gainsborough.
Fotherby Ward at County Hospital, Louth cares for patients undergoing simple day case oral and maxillofacial surgery procedures. We operate twice weekly.
The clinical lead for the service is Dr Mark Buah, oral maxillo consultant.