- Mr Alun Yewlett
- Job title
- Consultant Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon (upper limb lead at Grantham)
- GMC number
- BSc (Hons) MBBS
- FRCS (Tr & Orth) MSc (trauma surgery)
- Medical interests
- Shoulder and elbow arthroplasty (primary and revision)
- Shoulder arthroscopy – stabilisations, cuff repairs, SAD and ACJ excisions, capsular releases
- Elbow arthroscopy – post traumatic capsular releases, tennis elbow release
- Complex upper limb trauma – particular interest in terrible triads of the elbow and ACJ dislocations
- One stop shoulder ultrasound clinic
- Contact number
- 01476 464439
Mr Alun Yewlett joined the healthboard in April 2017. He worked as a consultant in south wales prior to joining us here. His undergraduate training was in Imperial College, London and he graduated in 2004 with a first class honours degree. In addition to his surgical qualifications he was awarded the outstanding performance award for his MSc in trauma surgery – his dissertation was on terrible triad injuries of the elbow (this is a complex dislocation of the elbow joint which is associated with fractures of the surrounding bones).
He did his higher surgical training on the All Wales Rotation and completed his CCT in 2014. However, in order to gain further experience he was awarded three of the country’s most prestigious competitively appointed shoulder and elbow fellowships in Exeter, Stockport and SWLEOC in London which equipped him with a wide exposure to a number of techniques to deal with the full spectrum of shoulder and elbow disorders. He was also awarded the BESS Leadership and Management award in 2015 and is currently a co-author on the British BESS/BOA care pathways on ACJ pathology which is due to be published later this year.
He believes good quality research should underpin clinical practice and as such routinely collects PROMS data for all elective cases and regularly audits his own practice and outcomes against national standards.